Thursday, January 24, 2013

Meaty Meat Meat

So I am on the home stretch for this particular still life painting now that I have my new super ADD antidote.  Unfortunately I had to do some problem solving along the way, and by "I", I mean Kate solved all my problems.  I had to switch out the cooler temperature light that was illuminating my actual painting.  There was too much of a discrepancy in temperature between the bulbs lighting the setup and the actual painting.  As a result, I decided to dim some things down a bit, like the cleaver.  Being a stereotypical starving artist, the hardest part of the still life was deciding whether or not to discard the steak that was sitting under the lights on a dirty board for 4 hours, or to just eat it and risk food poisoning.  I need to paint something less delicious next time so I don't have to worry about this, like broccoli, or tofu dogs, or a dead cat.


On a side note, I have also been introducing Epoxide Oil from Natural Pigments into my darks.  It helps quite a bit with sinking in, and is far more soluble and fluid than Stand Oil.

 End of First Painting
Addition of the best part...meat.
Start of second painting

Now that I have your attention, I also wanted to shamelessly plug my workshop in Whidbey this summer.  Remember, I don't get paid for this blog (you vampires) so it's a great way for me to get paid for a week of hearing myself talk.  I will also reveal to those taking my workshop how to make my super secret painting formula....ok, it's linseed oil, happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment